2) General elections shall occur no more than two months from the primary elections.
3) Television and radio political messages shall be provided at no cost by the media companies as part of the cost of using public airwaves. Time and support shall be provided equally to all candidates. Clearly this will reduce considerably the quantity of political advertising, giving the candidates only enough time to define their positions on key issues and to present their qualifications. Negative advertising shall not be allowed. Paid advertising on behalf of candidates from persons or organizations who wish to influence the election shall not be allowed.
4) The voting process, whether traditional or electronic, shall be conducted only by public agencies with scrutiny from representatives of the political parties. No part of the electoral process shall be contracted to private companies.
5) Presidential elections shall be conducted as a popular vote. The Electoral College shall cease to exist.
6) Elected officials shall document all public contacts, whether in their offices or in private social events. This record shall be available on their webpages for review by their constituents. That would include listing their golfing partners...
7) General lobbying shall cease to exist. Politicians will not receive private visits from persons outside their constituencies unless that person has direct business with a constituent. In cases where politicians need to be informed by corporation/s in order to vote on an issue, such presentations shall be made in public meeting rooms. In the event that national security is involved and such meetings can not be open to the public, then there shall be a representative of the Department of Justice present to ensure that no illicit offers are made. The Dept. of Justice shall monitor the activities of politicians and those who have private contacts with lobbyists shall be reported on their own websites and in the event of a repeat, shall be removed from office.
8) Agencies within the Administrative branch responsible for regulating in the public interest shall not employ persons who have ever worked in businesses that are being regulated by the agencies. Those who currently exist shall be transferred.
9) I saw an article somewhere on the web that had an idea that would reduce the impact of lobbying. It would create a new webpage for every new bill proposed in Congress. It would work like Wikipedia where many authors could contribute, but whenever a contribution turns out to be not true, it is deleted. In time, the comments that are supported by facts will remain. Since much lobbying is based on lies that are not discovered by the general public, they will not be able to force their viewpoint into the comments.
2) Procurement of weapons systems shall be based on the defense of the United States against actual or potential military danger based on the following military mission:
3) The Department of Defense shall be just that - for the purpose of defense from external danger. That shall not include threats to the interests of American corporations abroad. Nor shall any part of the Department of Defense intervene in the affairs of foreign sovereign states.
4) The Department of Defense shall meticulously account for all public funds - there shall be no secret budgets for black ops. Given the huge amounts of money involved, the Department of Justice shall establish a section to audit military budgets and to scrutinize commercial contacts of the military.
1) There shall be no financial instruments that cannot be understood by a 12 year old. That would eliminate derivatives, credit default swaps, and any number of other arcane instruments.
2) Banks shall return to the traditional definition of banks - guarding savings of the citizens, facilitating payment of debts, and making loans. Investment of the customer's savings shall not be a part of the definition.
3) Debt shall not be bundled and sold. In the event of the sale of a mortgage or other such instrument, the sale shall be done on a one-at-a-time basis with the buyer receiving documents showing exactly what property and persons are involved.
4) The agencies responsible for supervision of the financial system shall be purged of industry insiders. Such supervision shall be vigorously conducted in the interests of the general public.
5) A study by leading economists shall be launched to examine possible options to the Federal Reserve and possible ways to return to a currency backed by something of tangible value (like a kilowatt of energy).
2) Eliminate existing trade agreements not in the interests of the general public.
3) Make the health of the middle-class the guiding principle in trade relations.
1) Congress shall enact a system of laws defining criminal corporate behavior and associated penalties. These shall be based on the best interests of the general public.
2) Corporate officers shall be held personally responsible for corporate behavior with criminal sanctions when justified.
3) Actual or attempted influence of the political process shall have legal sanctions and penalties.